Sunday, June 6, 2010

Vacation 2010 Day3: Warwick

wk2035

On my third day of vacation I took a 20 minute bus ride to the castle and market town of Warwick.

I have vague memories of visiting the castle here when I was a young kid, but essentially I didn't know the town at all.

My first stop was St. Marys church in the middle of town, where, for a small fee, you can climb the church tower for some wonderful views out over the town, the river Avon, and some typical English countryside.

wk2058

The church was founded in the 12th Century, but it, along with most of the town, was destroyed in a great fire in the 17th century, so the rebuilt church dates from that time.

probably due to the number of shrines and temples I visit in japan, I now have become fascinated by churches and cathedrals. One of the chapels in St marys is particularly fine.

wk2096

Warwick is most well known for its castle on the banks of the Avon. The oldest parts date back to the 11th century. It is now a tourist trap, so I couldnt be bothered to pay the exorbitant entrance price.

wk2130

warwick has many fine examples of 17th century architecture, including this pub.

wk2140

Parts of the Lord Leycester Hospital were built in the 13th century, but most buildings are a bit older. Its not a hospital in the medical sense, but a home for retired and injured soldiers and their wives, something it is still used for today. In the garden is a vase over 2,000 years old. I would have liked to look around inside, but it was closed that day.

0 comments:

Post a Comment